BlackBerry Protect includes features that can help you find your BlackBerry 10 device as well as protect your device’s data if your suspect that your device has been lost or stolen.
For example, I couldn’t find my device yesterday so to find it, all I had to do was login to the BlackBerry Protect website located at https://protect.blackberry.com using my BlackBerry ID credentials and I was able to view my device’s location on a map.
After driving over to my friend’s house I still couldn’t find my device, so I logged into BlackBerry Protect website again and was able to make my device play a loud sound for a minute at which point I found it between the couch cushions. This is a great example of why I love BlackBerry Protect because it saved me time and money!
Tip: Using BlackBerry 7.1 or earlier? You can use BlackBerry Protect as well! To learn more, check out our post, 5 reasons why you should use BlackBerry Protect.
With that being said, complete the steps below to turn on BlackBerry Protect on your BlackBerry 10 device:
- On your home screen, swipe down from the top of the screen
- Tap Settings followed by BlackBerry Protect
- Set the BlackBerry Protect switch to On
After doing this, you will have the ability to use the following options when visiting the BlackBerry Protect website:
- View the current location of your device on a map (see ‘Enabling Location Settings’ below)
- Make your device ring (even if it’s in silent mode)
- Display a custom message on your locked device to provide instructions about how to contact you
- Set or change your device password and remotely lock your device
- Delete all of the data from your device
Enabling Location Settings
As mentioned earlier, BlackBerry Protect can help you locate your device on a map in the event you can’t find it. In order to use this feature, you will need to ensure Location Services are turned on. To do this, while viewing the BlackBerry Protect settings screen, tap Location Services and set the Location Servicesswitch to On. After doing this, the next time you log into the BlackBerry Protect website you’ll have the option to locate your smartphone.
I can’t locate my BlackBerry device using BlackBerry Protect:
- Verify Location Services is turned on. To verify this setting, tap the Search icon followed by entering Location Services and check that this feature is enabled.
- Your device is turned off or does not have an active wireless connection
I can’t remember my BlackBerry ID password:
- To sign into the BlackBerry Protect website use your BlackBerry ID credentials
- If needed, to reset your BlackBerry ID password visit https://bbid.com and use the Reset your password option
I signed into BlackBerry Protect but can’t see my device:
- Verify you are logging into the BlackBerry Protect website using the BlackBerry ID that is currently associated with your BlackBerry 10 device
- BlackBerry Protect has not been enabled on your BlackBerry 10 device
* Guide prepared by TY Williams at InsideBlackBerry