After re-engineering BlackBerry to a services company, the smartphone innovators’ latest device delivers the best of both worlds – BlackBerry security with the power of Android. PRIV by BlackBerry is a 5.4inch vertical slider smartphone packing some powerful specifications along the signature BlackBerry physical keyboard. It’s time to work and play on one single BlackBerry!
BlackBerry PRIV Review
BlackBerry PRIV Specifications
- Operating System: Android 5.1.1 Lollipop (Android 6.0 Marshmallow will be available soon)
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 (8992) Hexa-Core, 64 bit
- GPU: Adreno 418, 600 MHz
- Display: 5.43-inch curved AMOLED, 2560×1440 resolution (540 ppi)
- Memory: 3GB low-power RAM
- Storage: 32GB Flash storage MicroSD up to 2TB
- Rear camera: 18MP, f/2.2, OIS, phase-detect autofocus
- Front camera: 2MP, f/2.8, 1.75um pixel size
- Battery: 3,410 mAh, 4.4volt Non-removable
- Charging: microUSB with Quick Charge 2.0
- Size: 147 x 77.2 x 9.4 mm 184 x 77.2 x 9.4 mm (keyboard open)
- Weight: 192 g
- Network: FD-LTE: Band 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 20, 25, 28, 29, 30, 38, 40, 41 HSPA+: Band 1, 2, 4, 5/6, 8 Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
- Connectivity: Wifi 802.11ac Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, USB 2.0
The design of the PRIV is just marvelous! Though it isn’t as solidly built as the BlackBerry Passport, the PRIV leads all its competitors with the unique sliding form-factor. The Corning Gorilla Glass 4 strengthened dual-curved OLED screen sports a resolution of 2560×1440 and offers amazing clarity and colors. The phone is pretty slim and it is hard to imagine how BlackBerry have managed to put a full 4-row physical keyboard and a hefty 3410mAh battery under the hood.
Unlike most slippery smartphones, BlackBerry gets back the good old glass-weave material on the PRIV to make it super comfortable in hands and scratch resistant even without a case. The primary 18MP camera lens is certified by German’s Schneider-Kreuznach optics for superior picture and video quality. However, the secondary front-facing camera is just 2MP and could be a disappointing factor for selfie freaks (I don’t mind at all!).
BlackBerry PRIV Camera Gallery
BlackBerry has tweaked Google’s Android operating system with its own codes to make it the most secured Android smartphone. The PRIV comes with built-in BlackBerry Integrity Detection, which continuously monitors for events or configuration changes that could compromise the security of the device. This includes:
- Checking the integrity of the kernel on device bootup
- Checking for unauthorized changes to the SELinux policy
- Monitoring file system mounting permissions
- Ensuring that unauthorized apps don’t acquire escalated privileges
- Disabling security sensitive applications such as pathtrust
If you are looking for a device which is secure and keeps you protected from hacks and malware, the PRIV is a must smartphone to go for. Though it runs Android, it’s not just another ‘me too’ Android device and has a unique design and overall experience. The keyboard lovers will enjoy the combination of software and physical keypad. And let’s not forget the the joy of answering calls by sliding up the screen. Believe us! It feels as pleasing as it sounds.
BlackBerry PRIV Gallery
Thanks to Fazal Jung & Irfan Intekhab (photography).
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings